Saturday, November 10, 2007

Dragon sketch

I remember doing this sketch on a post-it about ten years ago while I was on the phone at my grandmother's house. Around 2002 I scanned the rough, blew it up, worked over it and tightened it up. The big version was done on Letraset marker paper with a brown col-erase (my favorite pencil of all time) and a lead holder with 3H lead. I like harder leads because they don't smear nearly as much and I like the fact that the light lead gives a lot of freedom with your pressure versus light/dark lines. I press pretty hard anyway and harder lead doesn't break nearly as often and keeps a sharper point.
So this sketch has sat in my portfolio since 2002. He has gotten so much positive feedback that I have toyed with the idea on finishing him up, full color. I'm usually hesitant on going back and working on older stuff but I think he deserves some more love.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say he's definitely worth finishing up.

Jeremy D. Mohler said...

Yeah, I think he does need some love.

CS Jennings said...

Here here! That dragon needs some love!!!

El Willy said...

Give it to him, man!

Brine Blank said...

Great dragon...sometimes those long breaks give fresh eyes to ramp up the detail even more...nice work on here...look forward to seeing this finished!